The Community Animateur’s role will be to bridge the existing gap between young people on the margins and ‘mainstream’ institutions by acting as a “Social Mediator”. Community Animateurs come from the community, and are trusted by their peer group. They act as a point of mediation between young people who don’t trust ‘the system’ and the system itself.
Over two years, COMANITY will:
- Carry out research to find out what young people ‘on the margins’ feel about their lives; what they think needs to change in their communities and how the ‘Community Animateur’ can help make these changes possible.
- Develop a framework that describes the skills and competences needed to become a successful Community Animateur
- Develop a ‘self-assessment tool’ that helps people find out which of these competences they are good at and which ones they need to improve
- Develop a Learning Programme – linked to the competence framework – that provides the training needed to become a successful Community Animateur
- Deliver the Learning Programme in four different EU cities
- Support programme graduates to work in collaboration with young people to help solve problems in their communities